Tuesday, July 1, 2008

hands-free driving laws

I'm sure many of you think you are great drivers ... and a few of you are. But when my kids are in the street or I'm out driving also, I want your full attention none-the-less. So while it may not be a law to stay off your phone while driving in Ohio, you will still get a dirty look from me if you are on the phone when you go by.

And while I'm at it ... speed and cutting corners.

1) The legal speed limit is 25 mph through our neighborhood. But there are about 6 million kids in this neighborhood. If the street was a mile long (it's not), at 25 mph it would take you 2.4 minutes from end-to-end. If you went 20 mph, 3 minutes ... and 15 mph is 4 minutes. Net, the difference is negligible yet hitting a kid will change your life (and possibly theirs) forever. Knowing that you went the limit won't make you feel better.

And as noted in an earlier post, some are even going above the limit.

2) What's with cutting the corners on these turns? I actually have tire prints in my yard between the sidewalk and street. Please, this is not Formula 1 and you are not that cool. If you have to follow that arc in the turn you are likely going too fast anyway.




Thanks for your help ... signed, the grumpy guy on the corner.

No comments: